Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Are you Taking Antibiotics Along With Your Toothpaste?



Triclosan is an antibiotic and antifungal agent that is used in a wide range of products primarily to prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria. Many Toothpaste manufacturers have been adding it as a remedy for gingivitis.  Although it may help prevent gingivitis Triclosan may be creating antibiotic resistant bacteria. I first discovered Triclosan when I was brushing my teeth a few months ago while simultaneously wondering what chemical was being used to combat gingivitis. I glanced at the label and saw that it said Triclosan: 0.30%. I was upset to discover that I was brushing my teeth with a drug that I did not actually need.  Most people brushing their teeth with this antifungal drug have no idea that they are using a medication. I believe that this drug should be used more cautiously and should not be promoted for daily brushing.  Using an antibiotic and an antifungal agent so often will create stronger more resistant bacteria that we will have a hard time battling in the future.  What’s more troublesome is that children may be swallowing this drug on a daily basis. Before you purchase your next toothpaste read the label to avoid this environmental and biological hazard.



Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment